International Sunday School October 9 2022 Fall Quarter # 6
Deuteronomy 32:3-6 ESV For I will proclaim the name of the LORD; ascribe greatness to our God! (4) “The Rock, his work is perfect, for all his ways are justice. A God of faithfulness and without iniquity, just and upright is he. (5) They have dealt corruptly with him; they are no longer his children because they are blemished; they are a crooked and twisted generation. (6) Do you thus repay the LORD, you foolish and senseless people? Is not he your father, who created you, who made you and established you?Deuteronomy 32:3-6 ESV
Deuteronomy 32:10-14 ESV “He found him in a desert land, and in the howling waste of the wilderness; he encircled him, he cared for him, he kept him as the apple of his eye. (11) Like an eagle that stirs up its nest, that flutters over its young, spreading out its wings, catching them, bearing them on its pinions, (12) the LORD alone guided him, no foreign god was with him. (13) He made him ride on the high places of the land, and he ate the produce of the field, and he suckled him with honey out of the rock, and oil out of the flinty rock. (14) Curds from the herd, and milk from the flock, with fat of lambs, rams of Bashan and goats, with the very finest of the wheat— and you drank foaming wine made from the blood of the grape.Deuteronomy 32:10-14 ESV
Deuteronomy 32:18 ESV You were unmindful of the Rock that bore you, and you forgot the God who gave you birth.Deuteronomy 32:18 ESV
- The children of Israel were in bondage in Egypt
- God called Moses to lead the children of Israel
- Pharaoh resisted, letting the children of Israel go
- Egypt was struck with the plagues
- Pharaoh agrees to let them go
- But chases them, and is drowned in the Red Sea
- The children of Israel, when they get close to the promised land, send spies to look at the land
- They are afraid and complain, and God says none of the adults will come to the promised land, except for the two spies who are not afraid
- The children of Israel wandered in the desert for 40 years
- Moses is told he will not go to the promised land. Joshua will lead the children of Israel.
God is Good — Deu 32:3
- Psa 150:2 (ESV)Praise him for his mighty deeds; praise him according to his excellent greatness!
- Eph 1:19 (ESV)and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe, according to the working of his great might
The Rock — Deu 32:4
- 1Co 10:4 (ESV)and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank from the spiritual Rock that followed them, and the Rock was Christ.
Backsliding — Deu 32:5-6
- Jdg 2:19 (ESV)But whenever the judge died, they turned back and were more corrupt than their fathers, going after other gods, serving them and bowing down to them. They did not drop any of their practices or their stubborn ways.
- Gal 4:6 (ESV)And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba! Father!”
A Desert Land — Deu 32:10
Like an Eagle — Deu 32:11-12
- Isa 31:5 (ESV)Like birds hovering, so the LORD of hosts will protect Jerusalem; he will protect and deliver it; he will spare and rescue it.”
- Gill As an eagle stirreth up her nest,…. Her young ones in it, to get them out of it: Jarchi says the eagle is merciful to its young, and does not go into its nest suddenly, but first makes a noise, and disturbs them with her wings, striking them against a tree or its branches, that so they being awakened may be fitter to receive her: with respect to literal Israel, Egypt was their nest, where they were who were then in their infant state, lay like young birds in a nest; and though it was a filthy one and where they were confined, yet they seemed sometimes as if they did not care to come out of it; until the Lord made use of means to get them out, by the ministry of Moses and Aaron, by suffering their taskmasters to make their bondage heavier, and by judgments inflicted on the Egyptians, which made them urgent upon them to depart: with respect to spiritual Israel, their nest is a state of unregeneracy, in which they are at ease, and do not care to be awakened and stirred out of it; but the Lord, in love to them, awakens them, stirs them up, and gets them out, by sending his ministers to arouse them, by letting in the law into their consciences, which works a sense of wrath, by convincing them by his Spirit of their sin and danger, opening their eyes to see their wretched and miserable estate and condition, and by exerting his almighty power, plucking them as brands out of the burning:
Blessings — Deu 32:13-14
- NICOT The blood of grapes (Deu 32:14)—the idiom means wine and it is known in both Hebrew and Ugaritic poetry.
Forgot God — Deu 32:18
- Praise God in song every chance you get
- God is the source of all good