International Sunday School September 17, 2023, Fall #3
- At the time of the Gospel, the Jews had a very organized system of religious instruction. Levels of training handed down from teacher to disciple.
- The area that Jesus was from was a poor area.
Amazed At Jesus
John 7:14-15 (ESV) About the middle of the feast Jesus went up into the temple and began teaching.  The Jews therefore marveled, saying, “How is it that this man has learning, when he has never studied?”
- Matthew 22:33 (ESV) And when the crowd heard it, they were astonished at his teaching.
- Amos 7:14-15 (ESV) Then Amos answered and said to Amaziah, “I was no prophet, nor a prophet’s son, but I was a herdsman and a dresser of sycamore figs.  But the LORD took me from following the flock, and the LORD said to me, ‘Go, prophesy to my people Israel.’
Not My Own
John 7:16 (ESV) So Jesus answered them, “My teaching is not mine, but his who sent me.
- John 12:48-50 (ESV) The one who rejects me and does not receive my words has a judge; the word that I have spoken will judge him on the last day.  For I have not spoken on my own authority, but the Father who sent me has himself given me a commandment—what to say and what to speak.  And I know that his commandment is eternal life. What I say, therefore, I say as the Father has told me.”
John 7:17-18 (ESV) If anyone’s will is to do God’s will, he will know whether the teaching is from God or whether I am speaking on my own authority.  The one who speaks on his own authority seeks his own glory; but the one who seeks the glory of him who sent him is true, and in him there is no falsehood.
- 1 Peter 4:10-11 (ESV) As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God’s varied grace:  whoever speaks, as one who speaks oracles of God; whoever serves, as one who serves by the strength that God supplies—in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ. To him belong glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.
Seek to Kill Jesus
John 7:19-20 (ESV) Has not Moses given you the law? Yet none of you keeps the law. Why do you seek to kill me?”  The crowd answered, “You have a demon! Who is seeking to kill you?”
- John 11:49-53 (ESV) But one of them, Caiaphas, who was high priest that year, said to them, “You know nothing at all.  Nor do you understand that it is better for you that one man should die for the people, not that the whole nation should perish.”  He did not say this of his own accord, but being high priest that year he prophesied that Jesus would die for the nation,  and not for the nation only, but also to gather into one the children of God who are scattered abroad.  So from that day on they made plans to put him to death.
John 7:21-23 (ESV) Jesus answered them, “I did one work, and you all marvel at it.  Moses gave you circumcision (not that it is from Moses, but from the fathers), and you circumcise a man on the Sabbath.  If on the Sabbath a man receives circumcision, so that the law of Moses may not be broken, are you angry with me because on the Sabbath I made a man’s whole body well?
Not By Appearance
John 7:24 (ESV) Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”
- Isaiah 11:1-4 (ESV) There shall come forth a shoot from the stump of Jesse, and a branch from his roots shall bear fruit.  And the Spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the Spirit of wisdom and understanding, the Spirit of counsel and might, the Spirit of knowledge and the fear of the LORD.  And his delight shall be in the fear of the LORD. He shall not judge by what his eyes see, or decide disputes by what his ears hear,  but with righteousness he shall judge the poor, and decide with equity for the meek of the earth; and he shall strike the earth with the rod of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips he shall kill the wicked.
Do not judge by appearances.